BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
STATE OF CALIFORNIA
REGULAR MEETING 10:00 AM
The Board of Supervisors of the County of Del Norte and the governing body of all other special assessment and taxing districts, for which said Board so acts, is now meeting in regular session. Only those items that indicate a specific time will be heard at the assigned time. All other items may be taken out of sequence to accommodate the public and staff availability. Items followed with a ** indicate material attached in the agenda packet.
A closed session may be held at some time during the meeting to discuss litigation and/or personnel matters. There is a 90-day statute of limitations relating to decisions rendered after a public hearing of the Board of Supervisors and a 60-day statute of limitations relating to ministerial actions of the Board of Supervisors. NOTE: If you challenge the decision of the Board of Supervisors in court, you may be limited to raising only those issues you or someone else raised at the public hearing described in the notice, or in written correspondence delivered to the Board of Supervisors at, or prior to, the public hearing. (Govt. Code § 65009). When providing written correspondence to the Board of Supervisors you must provide a copy to the Clerk of the Board for inclusion in the official record.
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 issues, the Governor of the State of California has issued Executive Order N-29-20 and Order N-25-20 establishing social distancing measures and suspending provisions of the Brown Act. For this reason we ask that you:
PLEASE SUBMIT ANY PUBLIC COMMENTS AHEAD OF TIME IF AT ALL POSSIBLE. Please visit http://www.co.del-norte.ca.us/ for a public comment form. Your comment will be limited to 3000 characters. Your comment will be read aloud during the public comment period. Please submit only one comment per agenda item and only one general public comment.
VIEW THE MEETING AND COMMENT REMOTELY. A link to view the meeting will be posted on http://www.co.del-norte.ca.us/. Public comment on ALL agenda items as well as general public comment will be taken at the prescribed time for public comment via instructions provided on the website. Please submit only one comment per agenda item and only one general public comment.
IF YOU REQUIRE AN ACCOMMODATION DUE TO DISABILITY under the Americans with Disability Act that does not allow you to participate remotely or provide written comment ahead of the meeting YOU MUST notify the Clerk of the Board at least 24 HOURS in advance of the meeting and a reasonable accommodation will be made.
Hold a closed session to consider and discuss litigation and personnel matters: Conference with Legal Counsel- Existing litigation pursuant to Government Code 54956.9(d)(1) In re Application of Pacificorp/ Klamath Renewal Corp. FERC P-2082-062; Belcher v, County of Del Norte 18-CV-07379-RMI, Anticipated litigation 1) significant exposure to litigation pursuant to Govt’ Code 54956.9(d)(2)-one 2) Initiation of litigation Conference with Legal Counsel pursuant to Govt’ Code 54956.9(d)(4) – one; Pursuant to 54957(b)(1) Conference with Labor Negotiators pursuant to Government Code 54957.6 between County Negotiator: Jay Sarina, CAO and Employee Organization: SEIU, SEA; Public Employee Evaluation pursuant to Government Code 54957: Director of the Community Development Department; Threat to public services/ facilities pursuant to 54954.5(e): Name of Applicable Agency Rep. and Title: County Administrative Officer/ Director of Emergency Services re COVID-19. Public Employee Evaluation: Director of the Community Development Department; County Counsel.
· The Chair requests any deletions, corrections or additions from Board members to the agenda at this time. In order to add an item to the agenda, the matter must have come to the attention of the County subsequent to the posting of the agenda and the matter requires action before the next regular meeting of the Board of Supervisors.
· Receive other brief reports or announcements relative to the County of Del Norte programs and projects, progress of the two by two committees, goal committees and/or Board and staff travel/training reports.
Supervisor Cowan: Attended the Board of Supervisors Special meetings, attended Senator McGuire’s Town hall meetings, attended the BCRAA meeting, participated in discussions with Sutter Coast Hospital regarding dialysis machines and other issues, participated in a discussion with the Methodist Church regarding homelessness, dealt with numerous constituent calls regarding COVID-19 and also participated in making masks for local Social Workers, homeless and others in the community.
Supervisor Howard: Dealt with constituent concerns on the State Park Closures due to COVID-19, participated in numerous discussions with Caltrans regarding Highway 197/199 Litigation, spoke with numerous constituents about Legislative Programs for COVID19, attended Senator McGuire’s Town hall, attended a meeting with the CAO of Contour Airlines regarding the upcoming contract and also attended the Board of Supervisors Special meetings. Supervisor Howard requested to have an item placed on the April 28, 2020 Agenda regarding a proposal plan for State Parks to allow for local control.
Supervisor Hemmingsen: Participated in numerous meetings and constituent concerns with COVID-19, participated in Whale Entanglement conference calls, participated in public updates for COVID-19, attended a meeting with the Sheriff regarding personnel issues, attended the Board of Supervisors Special meetings, attended Senator McGuire’s Town hall meeting, attended the BCRAA meeting, attended the Tri-Agency meeting, attended the NCRP meeting, participated in Agenda review, attended the LTCO meeting and also participated in a Del Norte Business Webinar.
Supervisor Berkowitz: Dealt with numerous constituent calls with questions regarding COVID-19, attended two RCTA meetings and attended Senator McGuire’s Town hall meeting.
6. Approve and authorize the Agricultural Commissioner to sign the first Amendment for the Industrial Hemp Cultivation Program, ending June 30, 2020 with the California Department of Food and Agriculture as requested by the Agricultural Commissioner.**
7. Approve and authorize the Sheriff to enter into an Agreement with the State of California, Department of Parks and Recreation, Division of Boating and Waterways with the required Resolution for the fiscal year 2020-21 as requested by the Sheriff-Coroner.**
9. Approve and authorize the chair to sign the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the County of Del Norte and the Family Resource Center of the Redwoods for the use of publicly controlled storage space for the storage of food for use by Pacific Pantry, as well as the needs of Del Norte County's population in the event of a widespread emergency, pandemic, disaster, or declared state of emergency affecting Del Norte County as requested by the County Administrative Officer.**
10. Approve and authorize the Chair to sign the Agreement with Redwood Coast Transit Authority for the Tobacco Use Prevention Advertisement space on the local public transportation buses not to exceed $17,430.00, as requested by the Director of Health and Human Services.**
11. Approve and authorize the Chair to sign the Resolution, and authorize the Director of Health and Human Services to sign the application with Department of Housing and Community Development to provide transitional housing services to youth in Del Norte County and upon approval DHHS will procure an Agreement in the amount of $1,600.00 as requested by the Director of Health and Human Services.**
12. Approve and authorize the Chair to sign the Agreement with Center for Disease Control to allow the Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Branch to advertise federally provided tobacco use media campaigns in the amount of $1,147.00 as requested by the Director of Health and Human Services.**
13. Approve and authorize the Chair to sign the proposed Extension of Lease Agreement between Tab & Associates and the Department of Child Support Services, of the existing facility located at 983 Third Street, for the period of April 01, 2020 through June 30, 2021 as requested by the Acting Director of Child Support Services.**
14. 10:25 A.M. COMMENT PERIOD: Members of the public may address the Board on matters which are within the jurisdiction of the Board. If you are addressing the Board regarding a matter listed on the agenda, you may be asked to hold your comments until the Board takes up that matter. Please limit your comments to three minutes or less.
15. 1) Approve and authorize the newly hired Deputy Sheriff III to be paid at a Step D due to twelve (12) years of previous law enforcement experience and possessing a POST Advanced Certificate; and 2) approve and authorize retroactive pay to his date of hire of December 27, 2019 as requested by the Sheriff-Coroner.**
17. 1) Approve and adopt an Ordinance repealing, updating, and enacting parking enforcement provisions; and 2) designate County Counsel to prepare a summary of the Ordinance for publication as requested by County Counsel.**
18. 1) Approve and adopt an Ordinance repealing, updating and enacting parking regulations; and 2) designate County Counsel to prepare a summary of the Ordinance for publication as requested by County Counsel.**
21. Approve and adopt Budget Transfer #03-07 in the amount of $19,993.00 within the Contingency Budget Unit for funding of a new OES vehicle as requested by the Assistant County Administrative Officer.**
Consider miscellaneous legislative and budget matters pertinent to the County of Del Norte. Authorize the Chair to sign and send appropriate letters with respect to matters pending before the state or federal governments.
22. Discuss and give direction to staff to write a letter urging the California Department of Fish and Wildlife to take a proactive approach for the opening and closing of the Smith River during low flows as requested by the Del Norte County Local Fish and Game Commission.**
23. Approve and authorize the Chair to sign and send a letter to the United States Department of Transportation providing input into the selection of an Essential Air Service carrier for Crescent City, California as requested by the Border Coast Regional Airport Authority Director.**
(Next meeting is April 28, 2020)
Kylie Goughnour, Clerk of the Board
THE AGENDA AND ACTION SUMMARY ARE AVAILABLE ON THE COUNTY WEBSITE: www.co.del-norte.ca.us