BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
CRESCENT CITY, CA 95531
Tuesday, May 22, 2012
of Supervisors of the
A closed session may be held at some time during the meeting to discuss litigation and/or personnel matters. There is a 90-day statute of limitations relating to decisions rendered after a public hearing of the Board of Supervisors and a 60-day statute of limitations relating to ministerial actions of the Board of Supervisors. NOTE: If you challenge the decision of the Board of Supervisors in court, you may be limited to raising only those issues you or someone else raised at the public hearing described in the notice, or in written correspondence delivered to the Board of Supervisors at, or prior to, the public hearing. (Govt. Code § 65009). When providing written correspondence to the Board of Supervisors you must provide a copy to the Clerk of the Board for inclusion in the official record.
Present: Leslie McNamer, Martha McClure, Michael Sullivan and Gerry Hemmingsen
Absent: David Finigan
CLOSED SESSION 8:30 A.M.
Public Comment on Closed Session items only.
Hold a closed session to consider and
discuss litigation and personnel matters: I) Personnel negotiations pursuant to
Government Code 54957.6 between
REGULAR SESSION 10:00 A.M.
10:00 A.M. Call the meeting to order and take roll.
· The Pledge of Allegiance led by the Chair.
Action: Chair Sullivan led the Pledge of Allegiance.
· Introduction of new employees to the Board of Supervisors
Action: No new employees were introduced.
of any actions from closed session by
Action: County Counsel stated no reportable actions from Closed Session.
· The Chair requests any deletions, corrections or additions from Board members to the agenda at this time. In order to add an item to the agenda, the matter must have come to the attention of the County subsequent to the posting of the agenda and the matter requires action before the next regular meeting of the Board of Supervisors.
Action: No deletions, additions, or corrections were requested.
other brief reports or announcements relative to the
Action: Supervisor McClure reported on traveling to Marin for a Coastal Commission meeting, and attending a Redwood Transit Authority meeting.
Supervisor Hemmingsen reported on attending the previous Board of Supervisors meeting in Klamath as well as the Ribbon Cutting for the Townsite Boat Ramp, attending an Resource Conservation and Development meeting, attending a Travel Management Meeting at the Lighthouse Inn that was put on by the Forest Service, attending a Local Transportation Commission meeting, attending a Solid Waste Management Authority Agenda Review, attending a Coordination meeting with the Forest Service regarding the Travel Management Plan, commented on working with staff to prepare a letter with regard to the Travel Management Plan, attending an RCD meeting, traveling to Willows for a Sustainable Forest Action Coalition meeting, and attending a Local Area Formation Commission meeting.
Supervisor McNamer reported on attending the Townsite Boat Ramp Ribbon Cutting, commented on being attending a Tea Party potluck, attending a Local Transportation Commission meeting in place of Supervisor Sullivan, attending a Rotary Club meeting, attending the Republican Women's Luncheon where Tom Del Beccaro, Republican Party Chairman, spoke, as well as a Town Hall Meeting where he appeared as well, and attending a Local Area Formation Commission meeting.
Supervisor Sullivan commented on being out of town for the last Board Meeting, attending a Tri-Agency Board meeting, meeting with Laura Olson from Cal-Endowment, commented on attending a joint meeting with the Curry County Commissioners, meeting with Monty Mendenhall regarding underground utilities, attending agenda review, meeting with Stacy Lawson, attending a 2x2 meeting with Forest Services regarding the Travel Management Plan, meeting with Tom Del Beccaro, commented on watching the eclipse, and commented that tomorrow there will be a scoping meeting in Gasquet and encouraged all to attend and give input.
· Receive a brief report from the County Administrative Officer.
Action: County Administrative Officer, Jay Sarina, commented on having contract negotiations with the Public Defenders, reported on meeting with departments regarding their budgets, commented on AB109, stated that the Request For Proposal for Point St. George Phase II has just gone out and commented that he has been reviewing the Forest Service Travel Management Plan.
Comments from members of the public may be heard at this time regarding matters on the Consent Agenda only.
Action: Supervisor Hemmingsen recused himself from Items #9 and #14 due to conflict of interest.
On a motion by Supervisor McNamer and seconded by Supervisor McClure, the Board approved the Consent Agenda, Items #1 through #15.
Motion: Move to approve
Move: Leslie McNamer
Second: Martha McClure
Vote Yea: 4 Leslie McNamer, Martha McClure, Michael Sullivan, Gerry Hemmingsen
Vote Nay: 0 None
Vote Abstain: 0 None
3. Approve a Proclamation Designating the Week of May 19th Through May 25th, 2012 as National Safe Boating Week in Del Norte County as requested by the US Coast Guard Auxiliary, District 11 North.** Document
Bev Noll spoke to the Board regarding National Safe Boating Week.
Supervisor McClure read this Proclamation, stating that the Board is recognizing all three counties involved.
5. Approve and authorize the Sheriff to enter into the annual agreement with the Drug Enforcement Administration to defray the costs related to the eradication and suppression of illicit marijuana as requested by the Sheriff-Coroner.** Document
Action: Approved (DNCO Agreement 2012-057)
6. Approve and authorize the Chair to sign the attached Resolution authorizing the Del Norte County Community Development Department to apply for Local Enforcement Agency Grants for a period not to exceed five (5) years and delegate the Director of Community Development or his designee to sign the necessary applications, contracts, agreements, amendments, and payment request forms as requested by the Deputy Director of Building and Planning.** Document
Action: Approved (DNCO Resolution 2012-011)
7. Approve and authorize the Chair to sign the First Amendment to Agreement 2010-095 between the County of Del Norte and Jim Phillips Nursing, Inc. as requested by the County Administrative Officer.** Document
Action: Approved (DNCO Agreements 2012-058)
8. Approve and authorize the Chair to sign the First Amendment to Agreement 2010-094 between the County of Del Norte and Tim Nicely M.D. and Howard Croy, PA-C as requested by the County Administrative Officer.** Document
Action: Approved (DNCO Agreement 2012-059)
Action: Approved (DNCO Agreements 2012-060 and 2012-061)
12. Approve and authorize the Chair of the Board of Supervisor to sign Amendment No. 1 to the Agreement for Bar-O Boys Ranch Placement with Napa County as requested by the Chief Probation Officer.** Document
Action: Approved (DNCO Agreement 2012-062)
13. Approve and authorize the Chair to sign the attached Agreement for Professional Legal Services between the County of Del Norte and Jones & Dyer, A Professional Corporation as requested by County Counsel.** Document
Action: This item was pulled from the Agenda.
14. Approve and authorize the Chair to sign an Agreement between Del Norte County and Elk Valley Rancheria regarding the Humboldt Road Project as requested by the Deputy Director of Roads and Planning.** Document
Action: Approved (DNCO Agreement 2012-063)
15. Approve and authorize the Chair to sign an Agreement with Youth Development Network from March 1, 2012 to June 30, 2012, not to exceed $16,100.00 as requested by the Director of Health and Human Services.** Document
Action: Approved (DNCO Agreement 2012-064)
Action: No Public Comment was given.
On a motion by Supervisor Hemmingsen and seconded by Supervisor McClure, the Board approved Budget Transfers (05-08), (05-09, (05-10), (05-12).
Motion: Move to approve
Move: Gerry Hemmingsen
Second: Martha McClure
Vote Yea: 4 Gerry Hemmingsen, Martha McClure, Leslie McNamer, Michael Sullivan
Vote Nay: 0 None
Vote Abstain: 0 None
17. Approve a Budget Transfer (05-09) in the amount of $71,000.00 within the Public Defender Budget for defense counsel fees for Pelican Bay State Prison as requested by the County Administrative Officer.** Document
20. 10:30 A.M. COMMENT PERIOD: Members of the public may address the Board on matters which are within the jurisdiction of the Board. If you are addressing the Board regarding a matter listed on the agenda, you may be asked to hold your comments until the Board takes up that matter. Please limit your comments to three minutes or less.
Action: Public Comment was given by Zack Larson of Larson & Associates regarding the DIDSON Project and the existing funding gap as well as an update of the MLPA. Public Comment was also given by Victoria Dickey regarding appointments to the Solid Waste Task Force.
Action: Greg Burns, Federal Legislative Advocate for Del Norte County, spoke to the Board regarding the following:
22. 10:55 A.M. Hold a Public Hearing regarding the request to vacate a portion of the County's Right of Way over Surfsound Court and adopt the Resolution to vacate it as requested by the Deputy Director of Engineering and Roads.** Document
Action: Chair Sullivan opened the Public Hearing.
Tina McClendon, Deputy Director of Engineering and Roads, gave an overview on the item.
Public Comment was given by Don Vecchetti and Cindee Nelson.
Upon review the Board continued the Public Hearing until all appropriate documents could be supplied to the Board and the Board directed staff to bring this item back to the next BOS meeting.
Action: Paul Kelley gave a presentation to the Board and outlined the following topics regarding the North Coast Integrated Regional Water Management Plan:
IRWM Program Overview, History, Governance, Objectives, Accomplishments, Incentives, and Funding Overview.
LEGISLATIVE AND BUDGET ISSUES:
24. Consider miscellaneous legislative and budget matters pertinent to the County of Del Norte. Authorize the Chair to sign and send appropriate letters with respect to matters pending before the state or federal governments.
Action: Gary Blatnick, Director of Health and Human Services, spoke about Medi-cal Health and the Partnership for Healthcare of California. He commented that there might be an opportunity for the County to join this partnership. He commented that staff may have to work diligently before the next Board meeting. Jay Sarina commented that he has been watching a number of spot bills.
25. Approve and authorize the Chair to sign a letter to the United States Forest Service regarding the Coordination Meeting of 5/14/12, Smith River National Recreation Area Restoration and Motorized Travel Management Plan.** Document
Action: Supervisor McClure suggests that the letter include the request for an extension of the scoping period at the beginning.
On a motion by Supervisor McClure and seconded by Supervisor McNamer, the Board approved the Chair to sign a letter to the United States Forest Service regarding the Coordination Meeting of 5/14/12, Smith River National Recreation Area Restoration and Motorized Travel Management Plan.
Jeremi Ruiz, Clerk of the Board
THE AGENDA AND ACTION SUMMARY ARE AVAILABLE ON THE COUNTY WEBSITE: www.co.del-norte.ca.us